Thursday, November 5, 2009

NaNoWriMo: Day 5 & A Weekend of Editing

Word count? I'm not so sure I want to answer that question. Mine's not going so hot at the moment. I didn't get a chance to write on Tuesday or Wednesday night. And it's looking like I'm going to be opting for bed over writing tonight. A tired writer is not an effective writer. That much I have learned.

Editing? During NaNoWriMo? Are you crazy? That's what I've been asking myself today. Last night, Crystal and I discussed things and we're going to be spending this weekend as an editing weekend. We're both doing NaNo and should ultimately be spending our time writing if we plan to reach the 50k. But suffice to say, writing is not about cranking out words for us. It's about taking our time to create something we're proud of and getting it noticed by the world.

So, why an editing weekend? What will you be editing? In the summer of 2009 (this past summer), Crystal and I finished our first co-authored novel together. It was quite an exciting adventure with many stories attached. Stories that need to be shared here sometime soon. We agreed to let it sit and edit it in the fall. Needless to say, editing has been going slow this fall because of work, class, and Two to Write. We do, however, have a reason to edit ASAP.

Yesterday evening, I read my blogroll and caught up on some of the happenings around Blogger. One such happening is a contest judged by a young adult agent. She will be reading synopsis and the first five pages of your manuscript. There will be one winner chosen. This is a great opportunity to get our name out there! So, we're editing our novel like there's a deadline coming up. It's a whole month earlier than we had reset the date to, but that doesn't matter. This is important.

Besides, I've got my doubts about this whole NaNoWriMo thing working for me anyways. It's fun, but I'm not sure that it's the best way of making me productive or effective as a writer. More on that on another day though. For now, I'm going to return you to your regularly scheduled activities.

No comments:

Post a Comment