Thursday, November 12, 2009

NaNoWriMo: Day 12

Day 12 of NaNoWriMo. I should be at 20,000 words today. I am at 15,799.

Am I worried? Am I stressed? Not at all.

The way I figure it, there are two ways of looking at NaNoWriMo. The first way is to look at is as a challenge to write 50,000 words. The only way you complete this challenge and accomplish anything is by writing those 50,000 words. Failing is not an option in this view.

The second view is looking at it as a chance to get ahead on your writing. The goal is 50,000 words, but if you do not reach this goal, it is okay. You will still have more words than you started with.

I choose to favor the second view. The way I see it, there is nothing that can be lost by doing NaNoWriMo. There is only much to be gained in the way of words written. Ultimately, you will have more words at the end of November than you did at the beginning - even if it's only 5 more words than you had before.

Following this second model, I wanted to offer a piece of advice to anyone who has only just discovered NaNoWriMo. I say go for it. You may be starting twelve days behind, but you still have many words to gain!

Now, back to your regularly scheduled writing time...

No comments:

Post a Comment