Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Writerly Wednesday – Autumnwrite & NaNoWriMo

I had neglected my writing for a long time. It had become something that was hit or miss. It was something that I took up as a passing fancy every once in a while. And then I heard about NaNoWriMo and I thought - I can do that. I can write fifty thousand words in a month. I thought I could further the novel I had been playing at forever. So, I signed up. I wrote about twelve thousand words and plateaued.

Then came Summerwrite. I debated it left and right. It was more words but also more time. The challenge called for one-hundred and fifty thousand words in four months. This sounded manageable, especially considering it would be over the course of the summer. A summer where my only focus would be job hunting. I even talked Crystal into entering the challenge with me. I made it to the end and wrote 150,000 words. Crystal and I also got a finished novel, Dancing beneath the Moon, out of the deal. Now, we're editing that novel and eventually we'll be submitting it. Summerwrite definitely saved my sanity this summer and presented me with the opportunity to meet lots of great people.
That is why I have decided to do Autumnwrite. It's not a matter of me thinking I can achieve 150,000 words over the course of September, October, November, and December. I have a pretty full schedule this semester and I honestly don't know if that goal is even attainable for me if I plan to do anything other than work, class, and write. I've already gotten over three thousand written and if that's all I accomplish all season, then I'm better off than when I started. I invite you to join the madness that is Autumnwrite. Push yourself and get to know some great people that you won't meet otherwise!!

I am also going to give my try at NaNoWriMo again this year. I'm not sure whether or not the fifty thousand is a doable goal for me. However, I am certain that I want to give it a shot. You never know until you try, right? I will be starting on one of two new project ideas that I have developped. They will be projects I tackle alone, rather than jointly with my favorite cowriter, Crystal. Maybe I'll give you a sneak peek at the ideas in the upcoming weeks and allow you to help me choose between them!
Until next week, happy writing!



No comments:

Post a Comment