Thursday, September 10, 2009

Thoughtful Thursday: Stardust Discussion


Stardust is among my favorite books and movies. I picked up a copy of the book from my local library a day after seeing the trailer for the upcoming movie. I quickly dived into reading it and had it finished within two days. I still had about a month to go until the movie would released. In the meantime, I recommended the book to everyone who asked. Crystal read it and was as delighted as me. Gaiman found a way to create a fairy tale for the adult readers. The story is whimsical and adventure awaits Tristran Thorne around every corner. There's hardly a moment when you're not entralled with the language and plot of the story. From start to finish, I had a hard time putting the book down.

Luckily, I found that the movie was quite similar. Many things were altered or changed from print to big screen but that doesn't really matter. The essential story is the same. Gaiman is actually listed among the producers for the movie, so you know that he had a part in the changes. This makes them easier to accept. The largest change is the ending - one is more fairy tale-esque, while the other dwells closer to reality. I'll let you figure out which for yourself.

If you have some time, I highly recommend reading and seeing Stardust. I promise, you shouldn't be disappointed! (Unless you have something against fairy tales and fantasy worlds. Then, you might want to steer clear.)

No comments:

Post a Comment