Wednesday, February 24, 2010

The Reading Chair: Review of Moonlight by Rachel Hawthorne


Description:(From rachelhawthorne.net)
Kayla has always felt a kinship with nature. Adopted as a child, Kayla has no idea that she’s inherited the gene that will turn her into a wolf. She can’t understand why she’s so drawn to distant, aloof Lucas...

As the leader of the Dark Guardians, a pack of werewolves that gather in the national forest, Lucas must watch Kayla until she discovers her destiny as his perfect other half. Just when Kayla finally begins to understand her fate, a new danger emerges...one that threatens their very existence.


My Review:
Ordinarily, it's the cover or title that draws me to pick a book off the shelf of the bookstore. The cover of Moonlightdid very little for me, as it is not nearly as intriguing as it could be. The title, however, did draw me into this book.

I found Moonlight on a day when we had ventured out to the bookstore to do some research. Crystal and I had recently decided to write a novel about werewolves and we wanted to see what was already out there. We probably spent an hour going up and down the young adult aisle looking for books with titles related to the moon, werewolves, or wolves. We did not find nearly as many as we predicted we would.

Among the few books we did find was Moonlight by Rachel Hawthorne. I read the back of the book several times. After each time, I would replace it on the shelf and keep looking for other wolf related books. I kept coming back to this book. I was not planning on buying a book that day, but curiosity eventually won out and I bought it in the name of "research."

I don't regret purchasing this book for an instant. The characters are interesting and the storyline is unique. Hawthorne kept me on the edge of my seat as I read the story. I continuously wanted to know more about Lucas and Kayla's attraction to him. I wanted to know more about the wolves that lingered in the woods.

I could not find a dull moment in this book and read it in less than a day. It was the first book in months to grab my attention. I would have to honestly say that this book got me back into reading on a more regular basis. I highly recommend it to anyone who is a fan of the supernatural and young adult literature. As a writer of werewolves, I cannot say enough about this book.

My rating:

5 pawprints! Way to go Rachel Hawthorne!!

No comments:

Post a Comment