Tuesday, January 5, 2010

What's in an age?

Have you ever been questioned about your age or assumed to be older or younger than you really are?

It happens to me all the time. I'm currently 23 and people constantly accuse me of being 16. While this isn't the worst thing in the world, it can certainly be frustrating sometimes.

Take today for example. My mom, sister, and me went out to dinner together. We went to the local Chuck E. Cheese. To help protect children and insure they leave with the right adult, they give each group that comes in a blacklight stamp with a number. A child's number must match with the adult to leave the premises. As a teacher, I think this is fabulous.

But, it can be troublesome when you are obviously past the pre-teen age. Even in high school, we would enter and my dad would tell them "Oh, they don't need stamps" and it would all be fine. My parents knew we wouldn't leave without them. It's never really been a problem before.

Today, however, we enter and the worker gets the stamp ready. My mom says "we don't need stamps." We all stand there, ready to enter, and they question our (my sister and mine) ages! I'm quick to respond that I'm 23 as I've been in similar situations before. As we're entering the restaurant, one worker says to the other "I thought she was 16." This annoyed me. I'm not entirely sure why. Perhaps I need to listen to yesterday's song of the day and remind myself that it's only words.

What about you? What annoys you?
Do you ever get mistaken for a different age? How do you feel about it?

Song of the Day: "Elephant Love Medley" (from Moulin Rouge) featuring Ewan McGregor and Nicole Kidman
This song was actually chosen by my sister, Crystal. I asked her to help me choose a song and this was her suggestion. Her reasoning? It's a mix of some of the greatest love songs. Plus, it comes from her favorite movieMoulin Rouge.

No comments:

Post a Comment